You do not need a doctor’s referral to access speech pathology services with Learn2Communicate. Limited Medicare Rebates are available however for some children who are referred by their doctor as part of a GP Care Plan. This possibility should be discussed with your family doctor. Referrals are also welcome from doctors should they have relevant medical and/or developmental information to share with your consent about your child or wish to collaborate in service planning to assist your child.
- Phone Karen Trengove (Speech Pathologist) on 0458 413051 or email to discuss the concerns you have regarding your child. Karen or our Practice Manager will ask you several questions to determine if Learn2Communicate is the best service to meet your needs.
- A date for an initial appointment will be organised. The length of your child’s initial appointment will depend upon your child’s age and needs. This will be discussed with you by Karen.
- At your child’s initial appointment (conducted either face to face or via Zoom) a thorough case history will be collected. Your child will then be involved in a range of formal and informal assessment tasks designed to evaluate your child’s developmental strengths as well as challenges. Tasks are specifically chosen to ensure that your child feels comfortable and relaxed with the speech pathologist. Information is also sought from your child’s early childhood educator, teacher and any other treating health professional at this stage.
- If your child has an NDIS plan, we will develop a Service Agreement for you that outlines what we will provide and your rights and responsibilities as an NDIS Participant accessing our services.
- A report is then compiled for you. This report outlines the assessment findings as well as recommendations.
- Intervention / Therapy – Should therapy be indicated for your child, this will be discussed with you along with various arrangements for funding and a suitable therapist. Therapy is provided within our clinics (Orange and Cowra NSW), via Telehealth u, or may be provided within your child’s school or early childhood setting. Home visits are also available upon request. Intervention may be weekly or less frequently with comprehensive home programmes provided. The standard appointment time for therapy is 45 minutes however shorter and longer appointments are available upon request and discussion with the treating speech pathologist.
- Review – Following a period of intervention (usually following 1 school term), your child’s progress will be reviewed so that goals can be revised. This also gives parents and teachers the opportunity to be involved in deciding upon future directions for your child.
Please refer to our fees page for more information.
At your child’s initial appointment (conducted either face to face or via Skype) a thorough case history will be collected. Your child will then be involved in a range of formal and informal assessment tasks designed to evaluate your child’s developmental strengths as well as challenges. Tasks are specifically chosen to ensure that your child feels comfortable and relaxed with the speech pathologist. Information is also sought from your child’s early childhood educator, teacher and any other treating health professional at this stage.
We work alongside Parents and Educators to ensure that children and students of all ages enjoy therapy, make great progress and ultimately become effective communicators. A collaborative approach between parents, therapists and educators is essential if children are to succeed. We help children with all aspects of oral and written communication including those with disabilities and those who wish to improve their reading and spelling abilities. Our services are of the highest quality and reflect current best practice. Our clinicians each have several years of experience and are regularly engaged in ongoing professional development to ensure that the services we provide yield positive results for our clients.
In addition to our speech pathology services, Learn2Communicate offers a wide range of professional development opportunities for Parents and Educators to build capacity, knowledge and skills in supporting children with communication disorders.
Learn2Communicate is NDIS Registered to provide Speech Pathology Therapeutic Supports to individuals over the age of 7 years. We can also provide services for children and adults of all ages whose NDIS plans are either Plan or Self Managed